TheBritish Avro Lancaster was a 4-engined heavy bomber of World War II. The “Lanc” was powered by 4 Rolls Royce Merlin piston engines and a 13 foot de Havilland Hydromatic propeller.
The Lancaster could carry up to 12,000 lbs of various types of bombs. It first saw service with the RAF (Royal Air Force) Bomber Command in 1942 as part of the Allied Strategic Bombing offensive.
It was used primarily for night time bombing campaigns over Europe and became one of the more famous and successful night-time bombers during World War II.
It delivered 608,612 tons of bombs to the enemy flying 156,000 sorites (missions). Modified Lancasters could carry the giant 22,000 lb Grand Slam earthquake bomb the largest of any conventional bomb in World War II.
Avro produced 7,377 “Lancs” for the RAF, the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), and Royal Australian Air Force. It’s first flight was 09 January 1941 and was retired by the last user theRCAF in 1965.